2. Enjoy a champagne breakfast beside flamingo-fringed Lake Elmenteita with its prolific bird life, courtesy of Serena’s Lake Elmenteita Camp. If it’s a birthday celebration you’ll also get the unique Kenyan “cake parade” accompanied by singing.
3. Walk up Elsa’s Kopje with an expert guide from Elsa’s Kopje Camp and learn about the intricacies of the bush in the fabulous and under-visited Meru National Park.
4. Immerse yourself in history at Zanzibar’s Serena, situated perfectly between the beach and stone-town – and their breakfast takes a lot of beating.
5. Marvel at the abundance of wildlife in northern Serengeti, hosted by Asilia’s magical Akira Camp.
6. View the wealth of birds and animals around Kazinga Channel from a boat, arranged by the friendly Mweya Lodge.
7. Enjoy excellent food and luxury at Nairobi National Park’s only camp, Nairobi Tented Camp. Pinch yourself to believe you’re so close to the city, especially if you glimpse the resident rhino and her calf.
8. Discover yoga and still the mind with meditation on the ancient island of Lamu. You’ll keep going back for more.
9. Swim in a pool with a view of some of the Rift Valley’s extraordinary volcanic hills and craters at Sleeping Warrior Lodge on Soysambu
10. After tracking mountain gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest soak away the stiffness in the best bath ever at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp.
11. Walk with local Maasai trackers to a Maasai village and learn about their culture with Porini Amboseli Camp in the unspoiled paradise of Selenkay Conservancy.